I’m frequently asked for places to go to learn about Direct Instruction.
So, here’s a summary.
I’d probably suggest starting with ‘Psychology Learning Resources,’ for an intro / overview.
Then, The Components of Direct Instruction might be the best summary of the main principles.
- Solity (2008) – The Learning Revolution
- Engelmann & Carnine (1982) – Theory of Instruction (the magnus opus)
- Engelmann (1992) – War! Against the Schools’ Academic Child Abuse
- Engelmann & Carnine (2011) – Could John Stuart Mill Have Saved Our Schools?
- Stockard (2017) – The Science and Success of Direct Instruction
- Engelmann (2014) – Successful and Confident Students with Direct Instruction
- Psychology Learning Resources
- Engelmann (2006) – Rubric for Identifying Authentic Direct Instruction Programs
- Barbash (2012) – Clear Teaching
- Rosenshine (2008) – Five Meanings of Direct Instruction
- Carnine (2000) – Why Education Experts Resist Effective Practices
- Snider (2004) – A Comparative Study of Spiral versus Strand Curriculum
- Blog – e=mc2andallthat (2015) – Engelmann and Direct Instruction
That oughta do it!